Monday, December 22

Day 356: Puppy Chow

This isn't really true. But I am making it true. This probably needs further explanation. Let me backtrack a little.
Today is actually National Date-Nut Bread Day. Oddly, it is also National Date-Nut Bread Day on September 8th. Which I did already. This brings us to the main problem with this whole project. People constantly ask me where I "get this list" from. There is no official list. A number of them are government declarations that are for light ceremony and other are just made by a company or complete rando. They have as much weight as an astrological sign. Some of the days were only meant for a particular year. If you'd like to know more about the bunkness of food holidays this article is a good read.
So why did I do this project? What's the point? Well, It's fun... in someways at least. It also gives me a project, which I tend to latch myself onto. Liz can attest to that. Adding to that point, I come up with ideas all the time and am stubborn enough to follow through on it. This leads to my final reason. Most people know or have figured out by now that I am a picky eater. Liz says I "only eat 10 things". This year-long escapade has been a small nudge to get me over some of my stubborn eating paranoias. It can't be said I don't try new or old things. I'm just picky.
This bring me back to today. I could have done date-nut bread again, but that seemed a little silly and against some of the point in doing Eat Me. I did a ton of research to find a different listed day. There was nothing. I thought maybe Feast Day would work, but it's one of many and has nothing to do with food.


I resolved to just make my own day. The first thing that came to mind was Puppy Chow. It's great and I tend to think of it as a winter snack. I looked around Google a bit more and saw that Puppy Chow was not assigned a day. No point in making this another doubled up day. I was set. Some of you might think this bullhonky, but it's just as bullhonky as the other days (see rant above). In my mind, as long as it is celebrated on this day every year it's true for me. So for me (and if you want to too) December 22nd is Puppy Chow Day. I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment