Thursday, August 21

Day 233: Pecan Torte

Or how I learned to really mess up a pecan torte. This was doomed to fail from the beginning. Blame can be placed all around, but most of it goes on me. Liz sent me an "easy" recipe. Had I actually read the recipe for Frosty Caramel, Chocolate, and Pecan Torte from Better Homes and Gardens, I might have changed my choice.
I got out of work late since I had to wait for meeting to end. I stopped by Fred Meyer to get supplies only to find I could only find half the things I needed. After dropping off the goods I got and fixing the bike (I messed up the shifter on the way back), I went to get the rest at Safeway.


This recipe requires 24 chocolate wafer cookies which, as I have pointed out before, don't come in there own packages. I now have 2 packs of vanilla and strawberry wafer cookie left over (1 really, I ate at least 1 pack. I'm not sure if I'm complaining about this part). In mixing everything together I didn't notice that a lot of the ingredients went in multiple parts of the cake. This meant I didn't have the chocolate chips in the cream cheese mixture. I had a hell of a time getting the layers to spread nicely. This wouldn't look pretty. When I got to the end is where I knew this was all a bad idea. I had to let it freeze for 4 to 24 hours. How about and hour and a half? This really wouldn't look pretty.

The torte is less intense than I make it look.

I pulled as late as I could. And it held up well enough. A lot better than the cashew whatevers I tried to freeze. It tastes good too. Kind of like a chunky mud pie. I would never bother making this recipe again: bad memories, too much time, and too much work. I am glad to have the springform pans though.

No comments:

Post a Comment