Sunday, May 18

Day 138: Cheese Soufflé

I was disappointed that I didn't get to try Alex's Chocolate Soufflé, so I welcomed the opportunity to try the cheese. I had to make it because we could not find a spot to get it. I only had to purchase whole milk, more eggs and Soufflé dishes, thanks to our well-stocked pantry. A Soufflé is a complicated, delicate thing, which worried me greatly. The recipe was quite involved: a roux had to be made, eggs had to be separated, etc. You get the idea. Then the base had to cool to room temperature for two hours. We waited that out by playing Agricola (I lost). After that, I had Alex beat the egg whites until they were 'stiff but not dry.' This confused him greatly but he did a fantastic job. Then the egg whites and cheese were folded into the base and I poured the whole thing into our newly purchased ramekins.

Before. Oh, mercy me. Let this work.

We popped them in the oven and waited 20 minutes. I had heard about Soufflés falling before because of loud noises so I told Alex to be quiet. He responded by tiptoeing around and whispering. I didn't mean that quiet, babe. Just no loud crashes. Anyway, they came out (very, very carefully) of the oven and were tres belle!

Nailed it!
I like the Cheese Soufflé. It tastes like scrambled eggs with delicious spices. The Gruyere cheese gives it a great nuttiness (or is that the nutmeg?). Alex took a couple bites and said that the flavor was lovely but the texture was gross (for him).


The only thing I wish I had done was sprinkle some fresh herbs on top at the end. Oh, and also I wish I had worn my beret while I made the Soufflé. Je suis une poete, n'est-ce pas?

No comments:

Post a Comment