Monday, February 24

Day 55: Tortilla Chip

Tortilla chips are a staple in our household. My favorite brand is Juanita's, which are made in Hood River. They are delightfully thin and salty. But how boring would it be for us just to grab a bag from our pantry and take a picture? Real boring. Instead, I researched how to make tortilla chips at home, and came up with a very simple recipe. All you do is cut corn tortillas into wedges, fry them in a high heat oil (I used canola) and dust them with salt. Easy peasy.


The frying went much more smoothly than I imagined. My 'first pancake' chips ended up a smokey shade of grey, but after that, I quickly mastered the variations in heat needed to fry the chips correctly. We let them sit for a bit and then had a lovely bowl of freshly made chips.


They were much thicker than storebought chips, but still good. We dipped the chips in Salsa de Rosa, which is made in Redmond, WA and is super flavorful. If you haven't tried it, you really should. Alex ate the whole bowl of chips.


Good thing we still have some Juanita's chips (for me). Making tortilla chips at home is a great way to use up tortillas that have dried out. I'll definitely do it again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment