Thursday, January 30

Day 30: Croissant

I rarely eat croissants. In fact, I can't even spell croissants. I've been copy/pasting the word in here every time. I'm not kidding. If I was left to my own devises, I probably would have picked up some Pillsbury croissants. It would also be quite likely that I'd wrap it around a hot dog. I'm not living in the 1980's though, so I did an internet search for the best croissants in Portland. I ran across an article in the Willamette Weekly that did all the leg work for me. They stated that the best croissant overall is at Little T's. This was great since it's a block away from my normal bike route home.
What's less great is that when I got there, they were out of croissants. So I headed home to come up with a new plan. I decided to see how far away the #2 croissant place was: Alder Pastry and Dessert.  A bit of a bike ride and with closer inspection I found that the place had closed. Well that's what you get for being number two! It's at this point I decided to screw the list and just find any bakery nearby that had croissants. The most convenient place seemed to be Grand Central Baking Co. I decided to call ahead this time and see if they were in stock. They were, and oddly enough they took my order over the phone. I was a little worried they might deliver.  I said I'd be there in 15 minutes and I headed out the door. On my way to the new bakery I had to pass by the old bakery. I had half a mind to shake my fist at them.
I finally got my croissant.
It was everything I would expect a croissant to be: Crispy and flaky on the outside while soft and chewy on the inside all with a light buttery flavor. Quite tasty! I'm not really sure how Little T's could have been much better. I ate the croissant outside the shop since I didn't bring a bag and I didn't feel like riding and eating.
I should have gotten a second one. Oooh... or gotten one with cream cheese frosting! They don't make that, I'm just craving a Toaster Strudel now.


Okay, that kid is going to kill me someday. I think I'll stick with just the croissant for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment