Tuesday, January 7

Day 7: Tempura

This is the first meal on this endeavor that I've had alone. I had to go on my lunch break, since the bowling alley doesn't serve tempura (we do bowling on Tuesdays, which makes this just a little harder). I asked my coworkers where would be the best place downtown to get tempura. They gave me a few suggestions. I went with Mio Sushi because it was close enough by bike and I was assured from the online menu that I could get what I needed. Had time been available after work I'm sure Liz and I would have gone to a non-chain restaurant.


Of course, the weather decided to be rainy today. Great day to start doing that, Portland! That meant I had to change into some wet weather clothing. It wasn't raining super hard and the place is only about 12 blocks away so I barely got wet, but it took some time to change and change back. Unfortunately, it also meant that I smelled a little like a gym bag at the restaurant.


I ordered Sisters which is a sushi roll with spicy salmon, asparagus tempura, and sweet sauce. I've never had tempura before, yet everything else sounded pretty tasty. I also order some cucumber rolls for a few more veggies and to to make it more of a meal.  The food looked delicious and I must say I loved it.


The crispiness was a great counter to the soft chewy rice. I certainly filled up (at least as much I want to fill up for a lunch time meal), but I wish I could have had 2 or 3 more pieces. I'm definitely getting some more next time I go for sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment