Thursday, March 27

Day 86: Spanish Paella

This food day was an irritation. An irritation of time mostly. And the weird part is that the irritation all took place yesterday. Oh, don't worry, I still only ate the food today. Let's travel back shall we.
Neither of us knew of places to find paella, so Liz searched online and found only one place: Toro Bravo. It was a bit out of my way on a bike home to work, but not only that, it doesn't open until 5 pm. We decided to pick up the paella then and eat it the next day. We tried to see if we could call in the order, but they didn't pick up the phone. We resolved to just go there and try and get take out. Giddy... Up.


When we got there it was packed. This is a super trendy place. Liz talked to the guy and he told us that they don't do take out orders since the kitchen is so small. Liz turned to me for answers and I grumbled something about whatever we need to get it done. I was in a bit of a bad mood because of the hassle this was becoming, but also because I hadn't even had my spinach salad dinner. We added our name to the list and waited our requisite 45 minutes at the bar next door to get our seats.


As soon as we sat down, Liz laid down our situation: get us paella and a few apps so we can bolt. The bartender was happy to oblige.  The apps were good and the atmosphere was nice. If I had had the time on Thursday I would have loved to sit and actually enjoyed myself. Once we got the paella we were out.
On the way home the aromatics in the car were lovely. Liz was dying to eat some. The plan was also to have her eat it for dinner that day and I'd eat left overs the next day. She loved it.


This brings us to today. When I got back to the house and finished taking Saba out, I got right to heating up the plate in the oven. I was actually looking forward to eating it, as long as I avoided the seafood parts. And the smell did not lie. It was mouth watering. A good spicy and a rich flavor. If I ever get this again, I hope I can get more of a land paella than a mixed dish paella,

No comments:

Post a Comment